Sunday, March 7, 2010

an excerpt from Len Deighton

___"There are four stages of a love affair. First there is the stage of being in love and liking it." Her voice was muffled by my shoulder. "That's this stage."
___"How long's it likely to last?"
___"Not long enough," said Sam[antha]. "The other stages soon follow."
___"What stages?" I said.
___"There's being in love and not liking it," said Sam. "That's the second one. Then there is not being in love and not liking that. And finally there is not being in love and liking that. You are over it then -- cured.
___"Sounds great," I said.
___"You have to be make-believe tough," Samantha said. "I'm serious and it makes me sort of sad. If people in love synchronized their movements through these stages..." She snuggled deeper into my shoulder. "We'll stay at the first stage forever. No matter what calls us away, we'll stay up here on the moon. O.K.?"
___"O.K."
___"No. I'm serious."
___"Looks like we're first here on the moon," I said.
___Sam said, "Just think of all those poor dopes down on earth who can't see that great sun."

Len Deighton, Funeral in Berlin, page 82.

No comments:

Post a Comment